That’s correct – you did read it correctly. Homemade Beetroot Ice Cream! It’s one of our favourites. Not only does it taste amazing, but it’s also very healthful and very striking to the eye. Read on to find out more.
While traditional and classic ice cream flavours have been enjoyed for generations and continue to top the world’s favourite ice cream flavours, ice cream has and continues to evolve and is embracing creative and unconventional flavour combinations.
One such unique and surprisingly delicious frozen creation is Homemade Beetroot Ice Cream – a luscious and visually stunning treat that combines the natural sweetness of beetroots with the cool creaminess of ice cream.
In this article, we’ll discuss the earthy root veggie that is Beetroot and its transition from traditionally being used as savoury dishes to sweet. We’ll list the abundant health benefits of beetroot and of course, we’ll show you step-by-step how you can create this surprisingly delicious Homemade Beetroot Ice Cream.
If you’d prefer, you can scroll to the bottom of this article to take you straight to the recipe and method, or read along and find out more about this earthy root veg.
Embracing Nature’s Bounty
In recent years, the culinary world has witnessed a growing appreciation for the use of fresh, natural ingredients in innovative recipes.
Beetroot, a versatile and nutrient-packed root vegetable, has been making its way from traditional savoury dishes to unexpected sweet treats.
Beetroot, with its vibrant deep ruby-red colour, adds a burst of natural colour and earthy flavour that can transform a humble bowl of ice cream into a colourful and quite unexpected work of art.
Homemade Beetroot Ice Cream is a testament to all that nature has to offer and how with some creativity and imagination, we can transform an earthy root vegetable into a delicious homemade ice cream.
Natural Sweetness Abounds
Homemade Beetroot Ice Cream’s charm lies in its natural sweetness. Fresh, high-quality beetroots, with their inherent sugars, infuse the ice cream with a gentle, earthy sweetness that’s both indulgent and healthy.
This treat goes beyond dessert, offering a range of flavours that awaken your senses. It strikes a perfect balance between beetroot’s sweetness and creamy ice cream, creating a memorable and satisfying experience with each spoonful.
Beetroots Striking Colour
It was whilst cooking dinner for the family that the idea of beetroot ice cream came to me. As I pulled out an oven dish of roasted beetroot and carrots I saw the incredible colour of the beetroot glistening and the vibrant magenta-coloured juices and thought how gorgeous is that! I wonder how this will work in an ice cream.
Homemade Beetroot Ice Cream is not just delicious; it’s also a feast for the eyes. The natural pigments in beetroots give the ice cream a vibrant and eye-catching colour, making it a very bold homemade ice cream.
Whether in a bowl or on a cone, the ice cream’s beautiful magenta hue turns it into a work of art that captures everyone’s attention.
This visual delight is a great choice for special occasions, impressing guests with its uniqueness and adding a touch of elegance to any gathering.
Beyond its delicious taste and aesthetic appeal, Homemade Beetroot Ice Cream offers healthful benefits that elevate it above traditional ice cream.
Beetroots boast an impressive array of nutrients, including vitamins A, C, and B-6, along with essential minerals like potassium and iron. They are also known for their antioxidant properties, aiding in promoting overall well-being and boosting the immune system.
Benefits of Beetroot in Greater Detail
Beetroot, also known as beets, is a root vegetable that is packed with nutrients and health benefits. Here are some of the benefits of beetroot:
1. Rich in Nutrients: Beetroot is a great source of vitamins and minerals, including folate, vitamin C, potassium, and iron. It is also high in fibre and low in calories, making it a great addition to a healthy diet.
2. May Lower Blood Pressure: Beetroot contains nitrates, which can help dilate blood vessels and improve blood flow. This can help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
3. May Improve Athletic Performance: The nitrates in beetroot can also improve athletic performance by increasing blood flow to the muscles and reducing the amount of oxygen needed during exercise. This can lead to improved endurance and performance.
4. May Improve Digestive Health: Beetroot is high in fibre, which can help promote digestive health by supporting the growth of healthy gut bacteria and promoting regular bowel movements.
5. May Improve Brain Function: Beetroot contains nitrates, which can improve blood flow to the brain and improve cognitive function. It may also help reduce the risk of age-related cognitive decline.
6. May Have Anti-Cancer Properties: Beetroot contains betalains, which are pigments that have been shown to have anti-cancer properties. They may help prevent the growth and spread of cancer cells.
7. May Improve Skin Health: Beetroot is high in antioxidants, which can help protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals. It may also help improve skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
Beetroot is packed full of nutrients, vitamins and minerals, and is a versatile vegetable. It makes sense to utilise Beetroot as much as we can in our diet to improve our overall health and well-being.
While using it in a dessert, no less an ice cream may appear unlikely, be prepared to be pleasantly sure[raised by the flavour bomb that is Homemade Beetroot Ice Cream. Are you ready to give it a go yourself?
Beetroot Ice Cream Recipe
Here’s our Homemade Beetroot Ice Cream Recipe and Method:
- 125g raw beets, approximately 3 medium-sized beetroot
- 60-80g sugar (varies depending on personal taste)
- 100ml whole milk
- 125ml double cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Wrap the beets in aluminium foil and roast them in the oven for 45-60 minutes, or until they are tender.
- Remove the beets from the oven and let them cool.
- Once the beets are cool, peel them and chop them into small chunks.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and whole milk and allow to simmer, heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is hot but not boiling.
- Take the cooled beets place them in a blender and blend until smooth (you can set aside a portion of the small chunks to add at a later point if you like. These Beetroot pieces can provide an exciting, earthy pop of flavour).
- Slowly pour the pureed beet mixture into the medium saucepan of sweetened whole milk, and stir thoroughly.
- Stir in the double cream and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- NB: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can pour the mixture into a shallow dish and place it in the freezer. Stir the mixture every 30 minutes, to avoid crystals forming until it reaches the desired consistency. See our post Homemade Ice Cream: Without an Ice Cream Maker to learn more.
- Once the ice cream is churned, transfer it to a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 4 hours or until firm.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Tips for the Perfect Beetroot Ice Cream:
Roast the beets: Roasting the beets before adding them to the ice cream mixture can help bring out their natural sweetness and flavour. Simply wrap the beets in aluminium foil and roast them in the oven until they are tender.
Use fresh beets: Fresh beets are best for making beetroot ice cream, as they will have a more vibrant colour and flavour than canned or precooked beets.
Strain the beet juice: To get the most flavour and colour from the beets, make sure you use the juice too, just be sure to strain it first through a sieve to eliminate any particles or bits and then add it to the cream mixture.
Use double cream: Using double cream in the ice cream mixture can help create a rich and creamy texture.
Add Beetroot pieces: For that additional earthy Beetroot hit. You can set aside some of the beetroot pieces to add after all ingredients have been combined. Textually, adding beetroot pieces provides another ‘layer’ to your Homemade Beetroot Ice cream, but of course, this comes down to personal preferences.
Add additional flavours: Beetroot pairs well with a variety of flavours, such as ginger, lemon, and vanilla. Consider adding these flavours to your ice cream mixture to enhance the overall taste.
Chill the mixture: Before churning the ice cream, make sure the mixture is chilled thoroughly. This allows the ingredients to merge and will help ensure that the ice cream freezes evenly and has a smooth texture.
Use an ice cream maker: Using an ice cream maker can help create a smooth and creamy texture in the ice cream. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can still make beetroot ice cream by freezing the mixture in a shallow container and stirring it every 30 minutes until it reaches the desired consistency.
Let the ice cream rest: Allowing the ice cream to rest in the freezer for a few hours after churning can help enhance the flavour and texture of the ice cream.
Adjust the amount of beetroot: The sweetness of beetroot can vary depending on the variety and freshness of the beet. If you find that your beetroot ice cream is too sweet, you can try using less beetroot in the mixture.
Add more sugar: If you find that your beetroot ice cream is not sweet enough, you can add more sugar to the mixture. Start by adding a tablespoon of sugar at a time, and taste the mixture after each addition until you reach your desired level of sweetness.
Use an alternative sweetener: If you prefer to use a different sweetener than sugar, you can try using honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar instead. These sweeteners can add a different flavour profile to the ice cream and may be less sweet than sugar.
Add citrus: Citrus fruits such as lemon or orange can help brighten the flavour of beetroot ice cream without adding sweetness. You can add citrus zest or juice to the ice cream mixture or use it as a garnish.
Add herbs: Herbs such as mint, basil, or thyme can add a fresh and aromatic flavour to beetroot ice cream. You can add these herbs to the ice cream mixture or use them as a garnish.
Use a complementary flavour: Beetroot pairs well with a variety of flavours, such as vanilla, chocolate, honey or caramel. Consider adding these flavours to your ice cream mixture to enhance the overall taste.
By following these tips, you can enhance your Homemade Beetroot Ice Cream and create a delicious and creamy treat that is sure to impress.
You can try a few of the above or none at all. They’re just ideas to add different layers of flavour and texture to your homemade ice cream. Ultimately, it comes down to your personal taste and textural preferences.
Remember to taste as you go along, add a little sugar here, or use a little less. This recipe is purely a guideline that you can adapt to your needs and preferences.
Homemade Beetroot Ice Cream is a very unique blend of nature’s goodness and curious creation. Its natural sweetness, gorgeous vivid colours, and healthful qualities make this ice cream an exceptional and irresistible frozen treat.
Whether it’s a small family get-together or a grand event, this visually stunning ice cream has the ability to catch everyone’s eye and please everyone with its remarkable flavours.
So, what are you waiting for? Treat yourself and your loved ones to this unique and delicious Homemade Beetroot Ice Cream – an extraordinary and naturally sweet delight.
If you have any questions, please feel free to drop us a comment and we’ll be happy to get back to you. We would love to hear from you if you give this recipe a go and how you get on.