Indulge in the Festive Fusion of Spiced Apple Pie with Our Homemade Ice Cream.
It’s that time of the year, the nights are drawing in, there’s a definite chill in the air, and comfort food fills our dining tables.
In the dessert corner, Apple Pie is right up there. Nostalgic, traditional, warming, comforting and above all delicious. There’s nothing better than the scent of an Apple pie wafting from the oven. Add a little spice and you evoke the feeling of festive deliciousness with a well-made Spiced Apple Pie!
Now, imagine capturing the essence of this classic dessert in a chilly, yet warming scoop of homemade ice cream.
Our Homemade Spice Apple Pie Ice Cream takes the much-loved flavours of cinnamon-infused apples, buttery crust, and aromatic spices, transforming them into a frozen delight that harmonises with the festive spirit.
Ice cream, typically a summer treat, becomes a versatile companion, adding a touch of cool, creamy sweetness to the heartiness of apple pie.
In this article we will detail the flavour profiles of Cinnamon, Apples and Pie and how this traditional flavour combination transforms into a delicious ice cream. You’re welcome to skip to the bottom of this article to go straight to the recipe and our easy step-by-step guide or you can read along to find out more.
The Timeless Appeal of Apple Pie
The marriage of apples and cinnamon in the iconic apple pie has stood the test of time and for good reason. Apples provide a natural sweetness, while cinnamon adds depth and warmth, creating a flavour combination that has been cherished for generations and there’s a comforting association of apple pie with holidays and family gatherings that makes it a perennial favourite.
Incorporating these familiar flavours into ice cream not only elevates the dessert experience but also introduces a delicious textural contrast – the icy, creamy texture against the familiar backdrop of apple pie nostalgia.
Health Benefits of Apples and Cinnamon
Beyond their delectable taste, apples and cinnamon bring a host of health benefits to the table. Apples are rich in antioxidants, fibre, and various vitamins, contributing to improved heart health and digestion.
Cinnamon, known for its warm and slightly sweet flavour, has anti-inflammatory properties and may help regulate blood sugar levels.
Together, they form a wholesome duo that not only tantalises your taste buds but also supports your well-being.
Transforming Apple Pie into Spice Apple Pie Ice Cream
Now some people might think taking an apple pie and making an ice cream is sacrilege. It’s a classic and there’s a reason for this, however, this transformation adds something quite special to this all-time classic – a new taste sensation – frozen! And honestly, until you’ve tried it, you won’t know just how good this flavour fusion is.
Turning the much-loved warmth of a classic apple pie into a refreshing scoop of homemade ice cream is a delicious alchemy of traditional flavours meeting innovative technique and indulgence.
The sweet, cinnamon-infused apples that usually nestle within a buttery pie crust take on a new, frozen form, enhanced by aromatic spices in every spoonful. This transformation is not just a shift in temperature but a harmonious blend of familiar comfort and icy novelty.
The use of Almond or Oat milk, both of which add an almost pastry-esq feel to the texture of your ice cream, makes you feel like you are consuming pastry. It’s a clever use of alternative milk to enhance the textural sensation.
It’s a testament to the versatility of these timeless ingredients, demonstrating that the essence of a cherished dessert can be captured and savoured in a cool, creamy creation.
As the seasons change and the need for a heartwarming dessert persists, our homemade ice cream offers a unique twist on a classic, inviting you to experience the joy of apple pie in an entirely new way.
Here’s our delicious recipe for your Spiced Apple Pie Ice Cream:
Spiced Apple Pie Homemade Ice Cream:
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored, and diced (use a sweet variety like Gala or Honeycrisp)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 100g granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 475ml Almond or Oat milk
- 240ml double cream
- 150g granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 125g crumbled shortcrust pie crust (baked and cooled)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the diced apples, lemon juice, 100g sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook over medium heat until the apples are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in the butter until melted. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- In another saucepan, combine the milk, double cream, 150g sugar, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Heat over medium heat until it’s just about to simmer. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat and let the milk mixture cool for a few minutes. Pour the mixture over the cooled apples, blending them together. Allow the combined mixture to cool completely.
- Once cooled, transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- NB: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can still make this recipe. Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze. Every 30 minutes, stir the mixture vigorously with a fork to break up any ice crystals that may be forming, repeating this process for about 3-4 hours or until the ice cream is firm. Please also check out our post – Homemade Ice Cream: Without an Ice Cream Maker – to learn more tips and tricks.
- In the last few minutes of churning, add the crumbled pie crust, ensuring it’s evenly distributed throughout the ice cream.
- Transfer the churned ice cream to a lidded container, cover, and freeze for at least 4 hours or until firm.
- Scoop into bowls or cones, and enjoy the delightful taste of Spiced Apple Pie Ice Cream!
You can switch the Apples for Pears if you’d like or perhaps use both Pears and Apples, both these fruits work so well with Cinnamon and both transform into delicious homemade ice cream.
Feel free to adjust the sugar and spice levels to suit your taste preferences. Enjoy your homemade ice cream!
Some Pairings to add to your Homemade Spiced Apple Ice Cream
There are a variety of ideas you could try, adding certain pairings to your Homemade Spices Apple Ice Cream that will provide textural and flavour sensations.
Here are a handful of ideas:
- Warm Caramel Drizzle:
- The rich, buttery notes of warm caramel complement the spiced apple flavour, creating a decadent treat.
- Crushed Pecans or Walnuts:
- Add a textural crunch by sprinkling crushed pecans or walnuts. The nuttiness enhances the overall texture.
- Maple Glazed Apples:
- Simmer apple slices in a maple glaze until tender. Serve them alongside the ice cream for a warm and comforting combination.
- Ginger Snap Cookies:
- Crushed ginger snap cookies provide a spicy kick that contrasts beautifully with the sweet and spiced ice cream.
- Whipped Cream and Cinnamon Sprinkle:
- A classic topping, whipped cream, and a sprinkle of cinnamon elevate the indulgence of your spiced apple creation.
- Warm Apple Compote:
- Simmer apples with a touch of cinnamon and sugar to create a warm compote. Spoon it over the ice cream for an extra burst of flavour.
- Toasted Coconut Flakes:
- Toasted coconut adds a tropical twist, offering a unique blend of flavours with the spiced apple.
- Dark Chocolate Shavings:
- For chocolate lovers, dark chocolate shavings provide a rich and slightly bitter contrast to the sweet and spiced profile.
- Cinnamon Churro Bites:
- Serve small cinnamon churro bites on the side for a playful and delicious pairing.
- Salted Caramel Sauce:
- A drizzle of salted caramel sauce enhances both the sweetness and depth of flavour in every bite.
Feel free to mix and match these pairings based on your preferences or create a topping bar for a fun and interactive dessert experience!
We hope that you have enjoyed learning about our fusion of Apple Pie transformed into a delicious Homemade Ice Cream.
If you have any questions, please drop us a comment below and of course, we would love to hear from you on how you get on making this delicious homemade ice cream.