Indulge in the lusciousness of Creamy Avocado Ice Cream, a uniquely delicious frozen treat packed with nutrition and bold flavours.
Avocado Ice Cream? Not sure about this one? It does seem a tad left of field we agree, but have a think about the texture of Avocado – it actually lends itself perfectly to Ice cream! It’s screaming to be made into an ice cream in fact.
If you consider a Lemon, it’s a totally different fruit and texture, and Lemons are frequently used for Ice cream and Sorbets, whereas it’s super easy to take an avocado and create a creamy, nutrient-packed, delicious homemade ice cream!
In this article, we’ll detail the powerhouse that is an Avocado, they are truly loaded with goodness, we’ll also detail the use of Avocado in ice cream and of course, we’ll provide step-by-step instructions for you to replicate this delicious and curious homemade ice cream yourself.
If you’d prefer you can scroll to the bottom of the article straight to the recipe and method, or read along to find out more.
Avocados: A Nutritious Superfood
Avocado, the creamy and versatile fruit, has captured the hearts of food enthusiasts and health-conscious individuals alike for generations.
With its rich, buttery texture and unique flavour, avocados have become a staple in various cuisines worldwide. Beyond its culinary appeal, avocados are celebrated for their numerous health benefits and impressive nutritional profile.
Avocados are more than just a delicious addition to your meals; they are a nutritional powerhouse.
Packed with healthy monounsaturated fats, avocados are known to promote heart health by reducing harmful cholesterol levels and supporting cardiovascular function.
These heart-healthy fats also aid in nutrient absorption, allowing you to maximise the benefits of other foods in your diet.
Loaded with essential vitamins and minerals, avocados boast an impressive array of nutrients;
They are an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin E, and various B vitamins, contributing to a strengthened immune system and enhanced skin health. Additionally, avocados are rich in potassium, a mineral crucial for maintaining healthy blood pressure and nerve function.
The nutritional value of avocados is a major reason for their growing popularity. A single avocado is densely packed with nutrients, providing a balance of healthy fats, dietary fibre, and a wide range of essential vitamins and minerals.
Notably, avocados are one of the few fruits that contain healthy fats, making them a valuable addition to a well-rounded diet.
A Little Avocado History:
Believed to have originated in Central America and Mexico, avocados have a long history dating back over 10,000 years. Ancient civilizations like the Aztecs and Mayans revered avocados for their nutritional value and considered them a symbol of fertility and love.
Interestingly, the word “avocado” is derived from the Aztec word “ahuacatl,” which translates to “testicle” due to its unique shape.
Today, avocados have grown to become a global favourite, finding their way into a myriad of dishes, including salads, sandwiches, and of course, ice cream!
Their versatility and health benefits continue to make avocados an essential ingredient in modern cuisine, and the rise of avocado-based treats like Avocado Ice Cream showcases the fruit’s ability to delight our taste buds and nourish our bodies.
Make your own Creamy Avocado Ice Cream:
Here’s our recipe for Homemade Avocado Ice Cream, along with a method for you to easily create a delicious, nutrient-packed frozen treat:
- 2 ripe Avocados
- 125ml Double cream
- 65ml Whole milk (full-fat coconut milk alternative to make this dairy-free & vegan friendly)
- 62.5g honey (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits/seeds, and scoop the flesh into a blender or food processor (if you’d like to try and grow your own avocados, please see information on how to grow your own Avocados provided below).
- Add the Whole milk (full-fat coconut milk), honey, fresh lime juice, and a pinch of salt to the blender with the avocados.
- Blend the mixture until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Taste the mixture and adjust the sweetness with more honey if needed.
- Pour in the double cream and stir to ensure the mixture is well blended.
- Once the mixture is well-blended and sweetened to your liking, transfer it to a container with a lid and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to chill.
- After chilling, pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This usually takes around 20-25 minutes.
- NB: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can still make this recipe. Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze. Every 30 minutes, stir the mixture vigorously with a fork to break up ice crystals, repeating this process for about 3-4 hours or until the ice cream is firm. Please also check out our post – Homemade Ice Cream: Without an Ice Cream Maker to learn more.
- Once the ice cream reaches the desired consistency, transfer it to an airtight container and place it in the freezer for an additional 2-3 hours to firm up.
- Serve your creamy and delicious Homemade Avocado Ice Cream in bowls or cones and enjoy the refreshing flavours of this uniquely delicious and intriguing frozen treat!
We hope you enjoy making your very own Homemade Avocado Ice Cream with this easy recipe and enjoy this unique flavour fusion. It’s like you can avo-cuddle from its deliciousness.
Growing your own avocados from seed can be a very rewarding and fun gardening project.
Here’s a step-by-step explanation of the process:
Obtain a ripe avocado: Start by selecting a ripe avocado from the supermarket or better yet your local farmer’s market. Look for one that is not too soft or too hard. It should yield slightly to gentle pressure when pressed.
Remove the seed: Carefully cut the avocado in half, and you will find a large, smooth seed in the centre. Gently remove the seed from the flesh, trying not to damage it, or cut into it in any way.
Clean the seed: Rinse the seed under cool water to remove any remaining avocado flesh. Be careful not to remove the brown skin covering the seed.
Prepare the seed for planting: Using toothpicks, stick them into the sides of the seed at a slight angle, about halfway down. These toothpicks will help support the seed and keep it suspended in water.
Place the seed in water: Fill a glass or jar with water and suspend the seed by resting the toothpicks on the rim of the container. The seed should be partially submerged in water, with the bottom (flat part) in the water and the pointed part above the waterline.
Wait for germination: Place the container in a warm, sunny spot, like a windowsill. Over the next few weeks, the seed will start to crack open, and a taproot will emerge from the bottom. You may also see a small sprout growing from the top.
Transplant the seedling: Once the taproot is a few inches long and the sprout has grown a couple of leaves, it’s time to transplant the seedling into a pot with well-draining soil. Gently remove the toothpicks and plant the seedling, leaving the top portion above the soil line.
Care for your avocado plant: Place the potted seedling in a sunny spot and water it regularly, allowing the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. Avocado trees thrive in warm climates, so if you live in a colder area, consider keeping the plant indoors near a sunny window.
With patience and care, your avocado seedling will grow into a beautiful avocado tree. While it may take several years before it produces fruit, the joy of nurturing a plant from seed to tree is a very exciting and gratifying experience. Happy gardening!
We hope you have enjoyed learning about the formidable fruit that is Avocado!
Hopefully, you’ll enjoy following our easy-to-follow recipe and will enjoy your very own Homemade Creamy Avocado Ice Cream.
If you have any questions, please do drop us a comment below, we’d really like to hear how you get on with making your easy homemade Avocado ice cream.