Try our Healthy Homemade Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt recipe for a guilt-free, sweet, and healthy frozen treat!
Imagine savouring a refreshing dessert that’s as healthy as it is delicious. Is that possible? Our Healthy Homemade Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt, often called ‘froyo,’ delivers exactly that!
Packed with the natural sweetness of ripe strawberries and the creaminess and healthfulness of yoghurt, it’s a treat you can enjoy without feeling guilty.
In this article, we’ll discuss the history of froyos, provide some health information on both strawberries and yoghurt and of course, we’ll show you how you can also make this delicious homemade treat.
If you wish, you can scroll down to the recipe we’ve provided along with step-by-step instructions detailing how you can create this delicious treat yourself.
Discovering Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt.
Strawberry frozen yoghurt is a timeless favourite frozen treat.
Its pink colour and cool taste make it a refreshing and favourite option, especially when it’s hot outside.
But there’s more to it than its looks and flavour.
Let’s look deeper at strawberry frozen yoghurt, including its background, health advantages, and how to create it in your own kitchen. You may find the ideal combination of yummy and healthy as we look deeper at strawberry frozen yoghurt.
The History of Frozen Yoghurts, aka Froyos.
Frozen yoghurt, often affectionately known as “froyo,” has an interesting past that goes back many years.
The Greeks and Persians from ancient times made a dessert with yoghurt that was somewhat similar to today’s frozen yoghurt. However, it wasn’t until the late 1900s that frozen yoghurt, as we know it today, became popular.
This tasty frozen dessert became a favourite for people who were concerned about their health and those who loved desserts, providing a creamy and tangy option to regular ice cream.
The Health Benefits of Frozen Yoghurt.
The Benefits of Low-Fat Yoghurt.
Choosing low-fat Greek yoghurt for your Healthy Homemade Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt is a smart choice.
Low-fat Greek Yoghurt provides lots of protein, probiotics, and important nutrients, and being low-fat, it doesn’t add too many calories.
This choice of yoghurt makes your frozen treat taste creamy and tangy, providing greater health benefits and it’s yummier too.
The Nutritional Value of Strawberries.
Strawberries, the star ingredient in our Healthy Homemade Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt, are a nutritional powerhouse. They’re packed with vitamins, particularly vitamin C, which is essential for a robust immune system and vibrant skin.
Strawberries are also a rich source of antioxidants, including anthocyanins and quercetin, which combat oxidative stress in the body. These antioxidants contribute to reducing inflammation and may lower the risk of chronic diseases. Strawberries also provide dietary fibre, aiding in digestion and promoting a feeling of fullness.
Strawberries’ natural sweetness makes them a healthier choice for satisfying your sweet tooth as you require far less added sugar in your homemade strawberry froyo.
When combined with the tangy goodness of yoghurt, strawberries add to a dessert that’s as nutritious as it is delicious.
Healthy Homemade Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt.
This simple recipe enhances the taste of fresh ripe strawberries and uses low-fat Greek yoghurt to make it even healthier.
Here’s our Homemade Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt.
- 250g of ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 125ml of low-fat Greek yogurt
- 60ml of honey or agave nectar for natural sweetness
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Begin by placing your ripe strawberries in a blender or food processor. Blend until you achieve a smooth strawberry puree.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the strawberry puree, low-fat Greek yoghurt, honey (or agave nectar), pure vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Blend the mixture thoroughly until it reaches a smooth consistency, ensuring that the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Once your mixture is ready, transfer it to your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Typically, this takes around 20-25 minutes. Churning will incorporate air into the mixture and give your frozen yoghurt a light, creamy texture.
- NB: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can still make this recipe. Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze. Every 30 minutes, stir the mixture vigorously with a fork to break up ice crystals, repeating this process for about 3-4 hours or until the ice cream is firm. Please also check out our post – Homemade Ice Cream: Without an Ice Cream Maker – to learn more.
- Once the churning is complete, you can enjoy your strawberry frozen yoghurt immediately with a soft-serve consistency. If you prefer a firmer texture, transfer it to an airtight container and freeze for an additional 2-3 hours.
- Serve your homemade strawberry frozen yoghurt in a bowl or cone, garnish with fresh strawberry slices or a sprig of mint, and savour the refreshing blend of fruity sweetness and creamy goodness.
Making Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt is a very simple, fun and healthy choice.
Incorporating low-fat Greek yoghurt, means you enjoy the sweet taste of ripe strawberries and get the goodness of protein, probiotics, and nutrients. It’s a win-win!
This homemade treat lets you enjoy guilt-free. Each spoonful is a reminder of the joy of making your frozen yoghurt from scratch.
So, enjoy the pure and wholesome goodness of homemade Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt – it’s good for your taste buds and your well-being.
We hope you have enjoyed learning how you too can make your very own Homemade Strawberry Froyo’s.
Please do drop us a comment below if you have any questions and we would love to hear from you if you give this recipe a go.