Enjoy the tropical flavours of a Creamy Homemade Coconut Ice Cream, rich and indulgent. Learn how to make this delicious ice cream yourself.
This homemade ice cream is super easy to make, rich and luxurious in taste AND an ice cream that meets everyone’s needs in that it’s vegetarian, vegan friendly, and it’s low-fat, and to top it off, it’s dairy free for those with lactose intolerances too.
Even by meeting all those requirements, due to the use of coconut milk, this ice cream is incredibly creamy and full of coconut flavour.
In this article, we’ll discuss the nut that is coconut, or is it a fruit? It’s origins, its incredible health benefits, and of course, we will show you step-by-step how you can make your own with our Homemade Coconut Ice Cream Recipe.
If you’d prefer, you can jump to the end of the article straight to the recipe, or follow along to learn more about the incredible coconut.
Coconuts have a rich history dating back centuries, originating from tropical regions. These tropical treasures have been a staple in many cultures, providing nourishment and versatility.
Coconuts are multi-layered in how they can be used. Offering an array of uses that extend far beyond their refreshing water.
From the sweet, creamy milk within to the nutrient-rich flesh, every part of this tropical treasure is a source of goodness.
Coconut milk, extracted from the flesh, is a perfect dairy alternative that we use in our creamy homemade coconut ice cream. This versatile, richly sweet milk is equally at home in curries, smoothies, and soups, imparting its distinct tropical sweetness.
The flesh, used for a touch of crunch in our ice cream, adds an additional texture, but it’s also a delicious and healthy snack when dried.
And let’s not forget the hardy coconut husk and shell, which are transformed into eco-friendly products like brushes and bowls. Coconuts truly embody the “waste not, want not” philosophy, offering a variety of applications for every part that showcases their incredible utility and sustainability.
While the name might suggest otherwise, coconuts are not nuts; they are in fact, a fruit of the coconut palm tree, scientifically known as Cocos nucifera. These large, brown, and hairy fruits belong to the drupe family, which also includes other stone fruits like peaches, plums, and cherries.
The confusion arises due to the hard, woody shell that encases the inner “nut.”
Despite the confusion, coconuts offer a fantastic array of culinary and nutritional possibilities, and a boast pretty lengthy list of health benefits.
The Health Wonders of Coconuts: A Nutrient Powerhouse.
In many of our articles, we’ll make mention of ‘nature’s powerhouses’. When we do so, we’re referring to fruit or veggies that are loaded with healthful goodness. Well, you’ll be very pleased to hear that coconuts are more than just a tropical indulgence; they too are a nutrient-packed powerhouse.
Here are some health benefits of coconuts listed:
- Rich Source of Nutrients: Coconuts are packed with essential vitamins and minerals, including potassium, manganese, and copper. They also provide a good amount of dietary fibre.
- Healthy Fats: Coconuts contain healthy fats known as medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). These fats can help boost metabolism and provide a quick source of energy.
- Heart Health: Some studies suggest that the consumption of coconut products may improve heart health by increasing high-density lipoprotein (HDL) or “good” cholesterol levels.
- Aid in Weight Management: MCTs in coconuts can help with weight management by promoting a feeling of fullness and potentially reducing calorie consumption.
- Digestive Health: The dietary fibre in coconuts can support digestive health by preventing constipation and promoting regular bowel movements.
- Blood Sugar Control: Some research indicates that consuming coconut products may help improve insulin sensitivity and regulate blood sugar levels.
- Antioxidant Properties: Coconuts contain antioxidants, such as phenolic compounds, which can help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Coconut products, particularly virgin coconut oil, have anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Skin and Hair Care: Coconut oil is widely used for skin and hair care. It can moisturize the skin, reduce hair damage, and promote healthy, shiny hair.
- Immune Support: The lauric acid in coconuts has antimicrobial and antiviral properties that may help support the immune system.
- Bone Health: Coconuts provide nutrients like calcium and phosphorus, which are essential for maintaining strong and healthy bones.
- Hydration: Coconut water is a natural electrolyte-rich beverage that can help maintain proper hydration, making it an excellent choice after exercise.
In addition to its nutritional punch, coconut milk is dairy-free, making it an excellent choice for those with lactose intolerance or following a vegan or vegetarian diet. This is a very impressive list of healthy benefits and all the more reason we should try and incorporate coconuts into our diets and our homemade ice creams.
Not only is our homemade coconut ice cream recipe deliciously luxurious, it’s also a health-conscious treat that satisfies your sweet tooth while nourishing your body. Let’s show you how you can make your own delicious homemade coconut ice cream.
Coconut Ice Cream: A Dairy-Free Delight for All.
Coconut ice cream, with its luscious and creamy texture, is a delicious treat that not only tantalises the taste buds but also caters to a wide range of dietary preferences.
This creamy delight is entirely plant-based, making it suitable for vegetarians and vegans. It’s also a dairy-free and low-fat alternative, making it a versatile option for those with dietary restrictions.
Here’s our homemade coconut ice cream recipe:
- 1 can (400ml) of coconut milk
- 120ml of coconut cream
- 120ml of almond milk
- 100g of granulated sugar (You can use 80ml of alternative sweetener (e.g., maple syrup, agave nectar, or honey), however, bear in mind these may bring an additional flavour profile to your homemade ice cream)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup (75g) of shredded coconut (optional for added texture)
- Prepare the Ice Cream Maker: If you have an ice cream maker, ensure that the bowl is properly frozen, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Mix the Ingredients: In a mixing bowl, combine the coconut milk, coconut cream, almond milk, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir well until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Chill the Mixture: Cover the bowl and refrigerate the mixture for at least 2 hours or until it’s thoroughly chilled. Chilling it allows for better results during the churning process.
- Churn the Ice Cream:
- If you’re using an ice cream maker: Pour the chilled mixture into the ice cream maker and churn it according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This usually takes about 15-20 minutes.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker: Pour the mixture into a shallow container and place it in the freezer. Every 30 minutes, stir the mixture with a fork to break up any ice crystals. Repeat this process for about 2-3 hours, or until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Add Shredded Coconut (Optional): If you’d like to add texture to your ice cream, fold in the shredded coconut into the ice cream during the last few minutes of churning or before transferring it to the freezer.
- Final Freeze: Once the ice cream reaches your desired consistency, transfer it to a lidded container and place it in the freezer. Allow it to firm up for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve: Scoop your homemade coconut ice cream into bowls or cones, and enjoy your dairy-free, healthy, luxurious treat!
Of course, you can add a variety of ingredients that will pair extremely well with your homemade coconut ice cream to take it up a notch.
Here’s a list of ingredients that pair well with homemade coconut ice cream:
- Fresh Fruits: Such as mangoes, bananas, pineapples, strawberries, and passion fruit. These fruits add natural sweetness and a burst of freshness.
- Nuts: Almonds, cashews, and macadamia nuts can be chopped and added for a crunchy texture and rich flavour.
- Chocolate: Chunks of dark or white chocolate can be mixed into the ice cream for a delightful contrast in flavours and textures.
- Spices: Cinnamon, cardamom, or nutmeg can be added to infuse warm and aromatic notes into your coconut ice cream.
- Toasted Coconut Flakes: Enhance the coconut flavour with a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes.
- Caramel or Butterscotch Sauce: Drizzle some homemade caramel or butterscotch sauce on top for added sweetness.
- Cookie Pieces: Crumbled cookies like chocolate chip or shortbread can provide a satisfying crunch.
- Berries: Raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries can be gently mixed into the ice cream for a fruity twist.
- Jam or Fruit Compote: Swirl in some fruit jam or compote for an extra burst of fruity goodness.
- Mint Leaves: Fresh mint leaves can be used as a garnish to add a touch of herbal freshness.
- Sea Salt: A pinch of sea salt can enhance the overall flavour of your ice cream, especially when paired with chocolate.
- Toffee Bits: Add a hint of toffee crunch for a sweet and buttery flavour.
Feel free to get creative with your homemade coconut ice cream and combine these ingredients to create unique and delicious flavour combinations.
We hope you have enjoyed our article learning about Coconut Fruits and their health benefits and also learning how you can make this delicious frozen treat.
Please do drop us a comment below if you have any questions and we would love to hear from you if you do give this recipe a try and hear how you get on.