Enjoy the delicious taste of homemade peanut butter ice cream. Experience the amazing mix of flavours in each bite.
Peanut butter and ice cream? You’ll be surprised just how well this flavour combination works in an ice cream. Peanut butter is already creamy in texture so the transformation to ice cream really doesn’t take a great deal of effort.
Add in a spoonful of salt to enhance the peanut’s natural flavour and you’ve got a very delicious homemade ice cream treat, combining the creamy goodness of peanut butter with the chilled refreshment of ice cream.
In this article, we’ll provide some information on the history of these very versatile nuts, provide you with some interesting health benefits and of course, we’ll take you through the process, step-by-step, of creating your own homemade peanut butter ice cream.
If you prefer, you can scroll down straight to the recipe and method to learn how to make your own.
Peanut Butters Origins.
Peanut butter, a creamy and much-loved sandwich spread, has a history that goes way back.
Peanuts originally came from South America and were cultivated by ancient civilizations like the Aztecs and Incas.
It was not until the 19th century that peanut butter as we know it today started to gain popularity. Several people can be credited with the invention of modern peanut butter and the processes involved in making it.
Marcellus Gilmore Edson of Montreal, Quebec, Canada, obtained the first patent for a method of producing peanut butter from roasted peanuts using heated surfaces in 1884.
A businessman from St. Louis named George Bayle produced and sold peanut butter in the form of a snack food in 1894.
And in 1898 Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, of Kellogg’s Cereals fame, a renowned physician and inventor, used peanuts as a protein substitute for his patients.
Eventually, peanut butter’s appeal spread and it became a widely loved food staple around the world.
Versatile and Nutritious: Various uses of Peanut Butter.
Peanut butter’s versatility makes it a kitchen essential with a multitude of uses. It serves as a flavourful ingredient in a wide range of dishes.
From savoury Thai peanut sauces and peanut butter cookies to smoothies and a spread for bread, crackers or other baked goods to make sandwiches.
We’ve all heard of the American Classic PB&J Sandwich aka Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich.
Its creamy texture also makes it an excellent binding agent in baking, enhancing the moistness of cakes and muffins.
This nutty wonder adds depth and richness to both sweet and savoury recipes.
Peanut butter’s nutritional profile further adds to its appeal, as it is a good source of protein, healthy fats, and essential vitamins like vitamin E and B-6.
It’s these health benefits that make Peanut Butter a popular choice among athletes and health-conscious individuals seeking a nutrient-packed snack.
Peanut Butter in Ice Cream: A Nutty Idea?
Is adding peanut butter to ice cream a nutty idea? It might sound unusual at first, but this unexpected combination actually works very well.
The creamy, nutty richness of peanut butter blends perfectly with ice cream’s cool, sweet creaminess, creating a fusion of incredible flavours and textures.
The genius behind this concoction is that peanut butter brings both texture and taste to the mix. It’s also a natural thickener that ensures your ice cream maintains its luscious creaminess while every bite is infused with the unmistakable peanut flavour.
Elevating Peanut Butter Ice Cream with a Dash of Salt.
While peanut butter ice cream is undeniably delicious, there’s a secret ingredient that can take this frozen treat to a whole new level of indulgence: salt!
Adding a tiny bit of salt might sound strange, but it’s what makes your peanut butter ice cream taste even better.
Salt acts as a flavour enhancer, balancing the sweetness of the peanut butter with a subtle, savoury note that elevates the overall taste.
The mix of nutty sweetness and a touch of salt makes peanut butter ice cream go from good to amazing. Add a pinch of salt to take this Homemade Peanut Butter Ice Cream from nice to incredible!
Crunchy vs. Smooth Peanut Butter in Ice Cream: A Nutty Showdown.
When it comes to adding peanut butter to your ice cream, the choice between crunchy and smooth can be a nutty dilemma. Each variety brings its unique character to your frozen treat.
Smooth peanut butter blends perfectly into the ice cream, adding to the creaminess of your ice cream whilst infusing a nutty flavour throughout.
Crunchy peanut butter on the other hand adds a textural element with tiny peanut pieces for bursts of crunch and flavour.
The choice of course is yours based on your personal preference: Smooth for a uniform experience. Crunchy for extra texture. Either way, your homemade peanut butter ice cream will be a nutty masterpiece.
Let’s get into making a Creamy, Nutty and super easy Homemade Peanut Butter Ice Cream!
Easy Homemade Peanut Butter Ice Cream Recipe.
- 125g peanut butter (smooth or crunchy whichever is your preference)
- 70g granulated sugar
- 125ml whole milk
- 250ml double cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, stir together the peanut butter, sugar, and whole milk until smooth.
- Add the double cream and vanilla extract to the bowl and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- NB: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can still make this recipe. Pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze. Every 30 minutes, stir the mixture vigorously with a fork to break up ice crystals, repeating this process for about 3-4 hours or until the ice cream is firm. Please also check out our post – Homemade Ice Cream: Without an Ice Cream Maker – to learn more.
- Once the ice cream is churned, transfer it to a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 4 hours or until firm.
Note: You can adjust the sweetness of the ice cream by adding more or less sugar, depending on your preference. Or you can omit the sugar entirely and try out a natural sweetener like Honey, Maple Syrup, or Agave. See our article – Balancing Flavour and Health: Natural Sweeteners in Your Homemade Ice Cream – which provides detailed information on the benefits of using alternative natural sweeteners.
By following this recipe and method, you can create a delicious and creamy peanut butter ice cream that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Taking it up a Notch.
If you’d like to take your Homemade Peanut Butter Ice Cream to another level entirely, several ingredients can be added to enhance the flavour profile even more.
Here are some examples:
- Chocolate: Chocolate and peanut butter are a classic flavour combination. You can add chopped chocolate or chocolate chips to the ice cream mixture for added texture and flavour.
- Caramel: Caramel and peanut butter also pair well together. You can add caramel sauce or caramel chips to the ice cream mixture for added sweetness and richness. Check out our article – Salted Caramel Ice Cream to learn how to make your own Caramel Sauce.
- Sea salt: A small amount of sea salt can help enhance the flavour of peanut butter ice cream by balancing out the sweetness and adding a savoury note.
- Nuts: Chopped peanuts or any other nuts can add a crunchy texture and nutty flavour to peanut butter ice cream.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar can add a caramel-like flavour and richness to peanut butter ice cream.
- Cayenne pepper: A dash of cayenne pepper can add subtle heat to peanut butter ice cream and complement the nutty flavour of the peanut butter.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon can add a warm and spicy flavour to peanut butter ice cream and pairs well with the sweetness of the peanut butter.
- Nutmeg: Nutmeg can add a warm and nutty flavour to peanut butter ice cream and complement the nuttiness of the peanut butter.
- Cardamom: Cardamom can add a sweet and floral flavour to peanut butter ice cream and pair well with the nutty flavour of the peanut butter.
By adding any of these ingredients to your homemade peanut butter ice cream, you can create additional layers to the already complex, unique and delicious flavour sensation that is Ho,emadePeanut Butter Ice Cream!
Note for Peanut Intolerances: If you or anyone enjoying your homemade treats has a peanut intolerance or allergy, it’s essential to exercise caution. Peanut butter is a common ingredient in these recipes and may pose a risk to those with allergies. Always check labels, opt for alternatives like almond or sunflower butter, and ensure your kitchen tools are thoroughly cleaned to prevent cross-contamination. Safety comes first!
Fancy trying out the Classic that is PB&J Ice Cream? To non-US citizens, that’s Peanut Butter & Jelly Ice Cream! Head on over to our post – A Curiously Delicious Homemade Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream – to find out more about this classic favourite and learn about our Homemade PB&J Ice Cream Recipe.
We hope you have enjoyed our article highlighting our easy Homemade Peanut Butter Ice Cream. If you have any questions, please do drop us a comment below and if you do give this recipe a go, we would love to hear how you get on.