Fall in love with our Red Velvet Cake Homemade Ice Cream, a delicious combination of flavours to delight your taste buds this Valentine’s Day. Share the love, one scoop at a time!
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and you’re searching for that perfect, love-infused treat to dazzle your special someone. Look no further than our irresistible Red Velvet Cake Homemade Ice Cream – a delicious treat sure to capture hearts and taste buds alike!
In this article, we’ll discuss the classic that is Red Velvet Cake, discuss the flavours and it’s association with Love, we’ll explain the transition from cake to ice cream, and of course, we will provide you with a recipe and step-by-step guide for you to create your own Red Velvet Homemade Ice cream.
If you’d like to go straight to the recipe and step-by-step guide, please scroll to the bottom of the article, or read along with us to find out more.
The Romance of Red Velvet Cake
Red Velvet Cake is a classic dessert that thrills with its rich, velvety texture, decadent cocoa flavour and vibrant red colour. This cake is often created with several layers, further adding to its striking appearance.
Red Velvet cake, with its vibrant crimson hue, has long been synonymous with romance and celebration. Its luxurious taste, often paired with a luscious cream cheese frosting, evokes feelings of warmth and affection, making it perfect for an unforgettable Valentine’s Day treat.
From Cake to Ice Cream: Transforming the Classic Red Velvet Cake into a Dreamy Homemade Ice Cream
With its rich cocoa flavour and luxurious cream cheese frosting, Red Velvet has long been a treat for those special occasions and we think it’s only right that we take this classic and give it a little twist – Homemade Ice Cream.
The skill of course is being able to capture all that decadence in a cool and creamy ice cream whilst maintaining all the essence of this much-loved dessert.
By infusing creamy ice cream with cocoa powder, a hint of buttermilk tang, and vibrant red colouring**, we’re able to recreate that iconic flavour profile in every scoop. Paired with swirls of cream cheese frosting and delicate cake crumbs, this homemade ice cream promises to transport you to a world of indulgent deliciousness while staying true to the essence of the beloved cake.
**Using natural ingredients for red colouring, such as paprika, offers a healthier and more sustainable alternative to synthetic food dyes. Paprika, derived from ground dried peppers, imparts a rich red hue to foods without the need for artificial additives.
Red Velvet Cake Homemade Ice Cream
Here’s our recipe with step-by-step instructions for you to follow:
- 300ml double cream
- 200ml whole milk
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food colouring
- 50g cream cheese, softened
- 50g icing sugar
- 50g red velvet cake, crumbled (homemade or shop-bought)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the double cream, whole milk, caster sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and red food colouring until well combined and smooth.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate the mixture for at least 2 hours, or until thoroughly chilled.
- While the ice cream base chills, prepare the cream cheese frosting swirl. In a separate bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth and creamy. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag and set aside.
- Once the ice cream base is chilled, pour it into your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions until it reaches a soft-serve consistency.
- NB: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can still make this recipe, you simply pour the mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze. Every 30 minutes, stir the mixture vigorously with a fork to break up ice crystals, repeating this process for about 3-4 hours or until the ice cream is firm. Please also check out our post – Homemade Ice Cream: Without an Ice Cream Maker – to learn more.
- As the ice cream churns, add in the crumbled red velvet cake during the last few minutes of churning, allowing it to mix evenly throughout the ice cream.
- Once churned, transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container, layering it with dollops of the cream cheese frosting swirl as you go.
- Use a knife or skewer to gently swirl the frosting into the ice cream, creating a marbled effect.
- Cover the container with a lid or cling film and freeze the ice cream for at least 4 hours or until firm.
- Serve scoops of the red velvet ice cream in bowls or cones, topped with extra red velvet cake crumbs or a drizzle of chocolate sauce if desired.
Heart-Shaped Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches: A Sweet Treat for Your Loved Ones
Seeing as love is in the air, why not go the extra mile and create some love-themed heart-shaped ice cream sandwiches? Super easy to make and absolutely sure to win the hearts of your loved ones.
Here’s how you can create beautiful Heart-shaped Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches:
- Prepare the Red Velvet Ice Cream: Follow the recipe and instructions provided for making the red velvet ice cream until you reach step 5, where the ice cream is churned and ready for freezing.
- Bake Heart-Shaped Cookies: While the ice cream chills, preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C fan). Prepare a batch of your favourite red velvet cookie dough. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4-inch thickness. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out individual cookies. Place the cookies on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, leaving space between each one.
- Bake the cookies: Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until they are set and slightly firm around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For more recipes to make cookies, check out our article – Learn to Craft the Perfect Ice Cream Sandwiches – Frosted Fusions
- Assemble the Ice Cream Sandwiches: Once the cookies are completely cooled and the ice cream is churned and ready, it’s time to assemble the sandwiches. Take one heart-shaped cookie and place a scoop of the red velvet ice cream on the flat side of the cookie. Gently press another heart-shaped cookie on top of the ice cream to form a sandwich.
- Freeze the Sandwiches: Place the assembled ice cream sandwiches on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and place them in the freezer for at least 1 hour, or until the ice cream is firm.
- Serve and Enjoy: Once the ice cream sandwiches are frozen, they are ready to be served! Serve them as a delicious treat for Valentine’s Day or any special occasion. Enjoy the creamy texture of the red velvet ice cream sandwiched between two delicious heart-shaped cookies.
NB: If you don’t have heart-shaped cookie cutters click on the link to see a selection of Heart Shaped Cookies Cutters
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means that we may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
These heart-shaped red velvet ice cream sandwiches are sure to be a hit with your loved ones!
Crimson Twist on Your Waffle Cones: Take Your Red Velvet Ice Cream Up a Notch!
If you’re looking to impress your loved ones even more, how about crafting your own red-coloured waffle cones? It’s an extra special touch and far easier than you might think.
Check out our article – Mastering the Art: Make Homemade Ice Cream Cones – Frosted Fusions – where we have provided all the necessary steps, hints and tips for you to learn how to create your own waffle cones and by adding a dash of red food colouring, you can hit the right notes for valentines with your waffle cones too.
Complementing Your Red Velvet Ice Cream with Decadent Toppings and Pairings
And if the above isn’t enough to impress your loved ones, then here’s a selection of accompaniments and toppings that complement the rich and decadent flavour of your Red Velvet Cake Homemade Ice Cream.
- Red Velvet Cupcakes: Serve a scoop of your red velvet ice cream alongside a freshly baked red velvet cupcake for a double dose of indulgence.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Drizzle warm cream cheese frosting over scoops of your red velvet ice cream for a creamy and tangy contrast.
- Chocolate Sauce: Pair your red velvet ice cream with a drizzle of rich chocolate sauce for a classic combination that never fails to delight.
- Fresh Berries: Serve your red velvet ice cream with a side of fresh berries such as strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries for a refreshing burst of flavour.
- Crumbled Red Velvet Cake: Sprinkle crumbled pieces of red velvet cake over scoops of your red velvet ice cream for added texture and a taste of the classic cake.
- Whipped Cream: Top your red velvet ice cream with a dollop of homemade whipped cream for an extra creamy and indulgent treat.
- Chocolate Shavings: Garnish with delicate chocolate shavings for an elegant touch.
- Crushed Cookies: Sprinkle crushed chocolate cookies or red velvet cookies over the top of your red velvet ice cream for a crunchy contrast.
- Chopped Nuts: Add a sprinkle of chopped pecans or walnuts for a nutty crunch and added flavour.
- Toasted Coconut Flakes: Toasted coconut flakes add a hint of tropical flavour and a satisfying crunch.
- Mini Marshmallows: Scatter mini marshmallows over scoops of red velvet ice cream for a fun and whimsical topping that melts in your mouth.
- Cocoa Powder Dusting: Dust a light layer of cocoa powder over your red velvet ice cream for a rich and decadent finishing touch.
These accompaniments and toppings will elevate the experience of enjoying your red velvet ice cream with additional texture and flavours.
We hope that you have enjoyed our article about Red Velvet Cake Homemade Ice Cream. If you have any questions, please drop us a comment below and we would love to hear about your experiences with Red Velvet Cake Homemade Ice Cream.